CLASS DESCRIPTIONS - GROUP LESSONS
Parent/Tot (6-23 months) - 30 minutes, 10 parent/tot pairs/class
This class provides the opportunity for your child to become comfortable in a pool environment while in the arms of a trusted parent. An instructor will be present to assist you in ways to make this first water experience a pleasant one for both. This class is not intended to teach your child to swim, but to provide a relaxed, fun atmosphere. As the children become more comfortable, they begin to acquire independent exploration with help from parents. An adult must accompany the child in the pool and all children are required to wear swim diapers (unless they are toilet trained.)
Parent/Tot 2 (24 - 42 months) - 30 minutes, 10 pairs/class
This class provides the opportunity for your child, ages 24 to 42 months, to still be in the hands of a trusted parent while working on independent movements in the water. They will also work on blowing bubbles, scooping and kicking. Safety skills, games, songs and other activities will be taught as well. This class is designed to help the child transition into a more formalized class structure like our Tiny Splasher group. An adult must accompany the child in the pool and all children are required to wear swim diapers unless they are completely toilet trained. Floatation belts will be used to promote further independence.
Tiny Splasher (3 & 4 year olds ) - 30 minutes, 4 students/class (No goggles allowed.)
This class is for 3 year old children who are toilet trained and are able to be separated from their parents for 30 minutes without fear or hesitation.
This class is also for 4 year old children who have had no prior water experience.
Children start moving independently through the water without parental support. Students will develop a sense of confidence, independence and be introduced to water safety skills while having fun. Advancement will be based on individual readiness. Floatation belts will be used.
The following skills will be developed in Tiny Splashers:
- Safely entering/exiting the pool
- Putting the face in the water and blowing bubbles
- Jumping in and climbing out of the water (w/ instructor help
- Flutter kick on front, with or without floatation belt/noodle
- Flutter kick on back, with instructor help
- Instructor supported back float with ears in the water
- Introduction to reaching/scooping w/ arms
- Water safety skills will be discussed
SCHOOL AGE LESSONS
Note: Long hair must be tied back or in a cap for all levels.
Level 1 (4 -12 year olds) - 30 minutes, 5 students/class (No goggles allowe d)
Children must be able to pay attention for 30 minutes at a time. This class is designed for children ages 4 and older. Swimmers will learn correct body position and how to breathe efficiently. Water safety skills will be taught. For students ages 9-12, there are classes offered on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Successful completion of Level 1 requires:
- Putting face in the water & blowing bubbles
- Bobbing under water with correct breathing
- Jumping in with instructor support
- Straight leg flutter kick on front & back
- Rolling over from front to back and back to front
- Streamline on front with face in
- Streamline on back with good body position
- Front & back float without instructor support (10 sec.)
- Front arm pull (reaching/scooping)
- Proper side-breathing mechanics
- Water safety skills will be taught
Level 2 (4-12 year olds) - 30 minutes, 5 students/class, Pre-requisite: Level 1 skills (Goggles recommended)
By Level 2, the emphasis is on continued development of confidence and feel of the water. Students will remain in this level until they are swimming both freestyle and backstroke independently with good form for 25 yards.
Successful completion of Level 2 requires:
- Unsupported front & back float with correct body position (10 sec.)
- Front & back streamline push-offs from the wall
- Introduction to treading water
- Retrieving an object from the bottom of the pool
- Kicking on back while sculling with arms
- Kicking on front with face using side breathing (w/ board or noodle)
- Kicking on back with noodle held at hips, head back
- Independent freestyle for 25 yards using a front streamline push-off, reaching arms, rotary breathing and straight leg flutter kick
- Independent backstroke for 25 yards using a back streamline push-off, keeping head back with straight leg kicking.
- Jumping in & fully submerging without instructor support
- Water safety skills
Level 3 (5-13 year olds) - 30 minutes, 6 students/class, Pre-requisite: Level 2 skills (Goggles required)
In Level 3, children will continue to build on their endurance in freestyle and backstroke. They will also be introduced to the mechanics of breaststroke as well as two different diving skills.
Successful completion of Level 3 requires:
- 25 yards freestyle with proper body position, strong kick and proper side breathing
- 25 yards backstroke with proper body position and strong kick
- 10 yards underwater swimming
- 30 seconds treading water
- Elementary backstroke
- Breaststroke basics
- Standing dive & kneeling dive into the pool
- Water safety skills including survival float and back float in deep water
Level 4 (6-14 year olds) - 30 minutes, 8 students/class, Pre-requisite: Level 3 skills (Goggles required)
Level 4 builds on the freestyle and backstroke skills learned in Level 3. Swimmers will increase their endurance and begin to learn breaststroke and butterfly.
Successful completion of Level 4 requires:
- 50 yards freestyle with proper body position, breathing, and kick
- 50 yards backstroke with proper body position and kick
- 25 yards breaststroke with proper whip kick
- 25 yards butterfly with proper body position and kick
- 25 yards elementary backstroke
- 15 yards underwater swimming
- 100 yards Individual Medley (25 fly, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free)
- Dolphin kick on front with arms at sides
- 60 seconds of treading water
- Freestyle & backstroke open turns
- Standing/kneeling dives
- Water safety skills including reaching assists
Level 5 (6-14 year olds) - 45 minutes, 10 students/class, Pre-requisite: Consistent demonstration of Level 4 skills (Goggles required)
Level 5 is a 45 minute class. This level includes the successful coordination of the breaststroke, butterfly, and mastery of flip-turns. Many swimmers will repeat this level to learn proper technique. Level 5 continues to build on endurance, diving and turns.
Successful completion of Level 5 requires:
- 50 yards freestyle with flip-turn
- 50 yards backstroke with steady kick and streamlined underwater kick
- 50 yards breaststroke with proper head position and timing
- 50 yards butterfly with proper timing and breath pattern
- Open backstroke & breaststroke turns
- 2 minutes treading water
- Water safety skills including stride entry (lifesaving jump)
Level 6 (8-15 year olds) - 1 hour, 12 students/class, Pre-requisite: Consistent demonstration of Level 5 skills and recommendation of instructor (Goggles required)
Level 6 is one hour in length. Swimmers should demonstrate the proper mechanics for each of the four competitive strokes. A large focus of this group will be to build endurance and strength.
Successful completion of Level 6 requires:
- 100 yards freestyle (proper catch position, pull pattern, rotation and flip-turns)
- 100 yards backstroke (proper start, pull pattern and rotation)
- 50 yards breaststroke (proper turns and underwater pull-outs)
- 50 yards butterfly (proper timing, breath patterns)
- Backstroke flip-turn
- Butterfly open turn
- 200 yards Individual Medley (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free)
- 3 minutes treading water (1 minute w/ hand above the water)
Blue Sharks (9-14 years old), 1 hour/2 days/week, Pre-requisite: Evaluation (Goggles & caps for long hair are required)
This level offers 1 hour training sessions on either Tues, Thur. Sat. or Sun. We suggest Blue Sharks students register for at least 2 of the 4 training days for the best fitness & endurance.This training may serve as preparation for swim team try-outs or a warm-up for summer swimming. Blue Sharks is only offered during the school year, Sep. through June, and not during the summer sessions.
To move on to our Blue Sharks group, swimmers must be between 9-14 years of age and must attend an evaluation by the Lesson Supervisor. All four competitive strokes must be mastered to be considered.
High School Warm-up (14-18 years old) - NO LONGER OFFERED AT PEDDIE
Adult Level 1 - 18 & older, 30 minutes, 5 adults/class
For adults new to the water, or with fear issues with water, and/or can't float or swim. Swimmers will learn a correct body position, breathing for efficient swimming and focus on comfort level and skills to increase water safety.
Successful completion of Adult Level 1 requires:
- Put face in water and blow bubbles
- Fully submerge head
- Straight leg flutter kick on back
- Independent front float (hold for 10 sec)
- Independent back float (hold for 10 sec) Foundations of treading water
- Kicking 25 yds with kickboard or barbell with face in water
Adult Level 2 - 18 & older, 30 minutes, 5 adults/class
For adults who can float on back independently & float independently on stomach with face in the water. Can flutter kick with barbell or kickboard as well as enter deep end of pool.
Swimmers will be introduced to the freestyle, the fundamental stroke in swimming. They will also be introduced to backstroke.
Successful completion of Adult Level 2 requires:
- 25 yds. freestyle with proper body position, kicking and side breathing
- 25 yds. backstroke with proper body position and kicking
- 1 minute treading water
Questions: Contact Wendy MacCarthy: email@example.com